LONDON: UNESCO and the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) called on Wednesday for the Houthis to release two of their staff members.
“As families across Yemen gather to mark Eid Al-Fitr this year, UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet urge the immediate release of two of their staff members who have been detained since early November last year in Sana’a,” the two organizations said in a joint statement.
“Despite repeated assurances, as early as last November, by the Ansar Allah movement (also called the Houthis) that the two staff members would be immediately released, their whereabouts remain unknown,” it added.
UNESCO and the UN Human Rights Office said they were both “deeply concerned” about the well-being of the staff members.
“In this context, the UN Human Rights Office and UNESCO urge the (Houthis) to ensure the well-being of the two concerned staff members and to release them without any further delay,” the statement said.
“Under international law, UN staff are accorded privileges and immunities, which are essential to the proper discharge of their official functions.”